Installing the Android Simulator
To run an Android simulator, the Android SDK must be installed.
- Download and install the SDK. The SDK can be found here: Android SDK
- Unzip to a temp folder on your local drive and run the
- If you run into a “Failed to fetch url” error:
- Close the “Refresh Sources” window
- Cancel the “Choose Packages to Install” window
- Select “Settings” from the left side of the “Android SDK and AVD Manager” window
- Check the box labeled “Force https sources to be fetched using http”
- Close and restart the SDK Setup program
- On the left, select
- From the list on the right, select the platform of your choice. The device client provides integration with Google Maps and requires a platform version which includes "Google APIs".
Configuring Designer for Android:
The DragonRAD Designer can be integrated with the Android Simulator by following these steps:
- Open the DragonRAD Designer.
- From the toolbar, select Options > Settings
- Select the box marked "Android SDK Tools Path" press the small gray box on the right with three dots in it.
- Navigate to the "tools" directory of the Android SDK installation.
- Press Ok to close the Settings window.
Configuring the Android Simulator
- To test an application on Android, an Android Virtual Device (AVD) must first be created (this is Google's term for an Android Simulator).
- The AVD is created via the Google AVD Manager. The AVD Manager is accessible from DragonRAD Designer in two ways:
- Click the "Simulator" button, available on the DragonRAD toolbar at the top of the screen.
- It is available on the "Publish Complete" screen, after your application has been published to the DragonRAD Host (see image below).
- Clicking the "Device Manager" button to launch the AVD Manager.
- Details of configuring an an AVD are available on the official Android Emulator page. A recommended sample is provided here.
- Once the AVD has completed the booting process, the DragonRAD Client can be installed on the AVD by clicking the "Install Client" button.
- The DragonRAD Client can be found in the
App Menu on the AVD. The icon is, of course, a dragon.
- Subsequent changes made to the application in the DragonRAD Designer will be updated automatically on the AVD during the publish process.
Please Log In
to add a comment